Monday, November 15, 2010

Winnimere is at the Farmhouse

I feel like cheese and beer go hand-in-hand in Vermont, and I'm a big proponent of both. I drifted on down to The Farmhouse Tap & Grill in Burlington tonight and lo-and-behold they had Jasper Hill Winnimere as a special! This is a White Whale of a cheese for me. I first tried it about 3+ years ago at the Publick House Provisions in Brookline, MA (just outside Boston) and remembered it as being the stinkiest cheese I've ever smelled - washed in a lambic made by Shaun Hill (at the time) and wrapped in Birch bark - it was absolutely pungent. But on the palate it's super creamy and rich, delightfully delicate and beautiful.

And tonight I caught up with my Moby Dick - and it was every bit as good as I remembered it! It pairs beautifully with the 2010 Stoudt's Winter Ale (a hoppy red) and fought nicely with the Stillwater Cellar Door (wheat ale with sage).

This is a limited release from Jasper Hill and it won't be around for ever. If you like stinky delicious cheeses, get on down there and tell 'em Jeff sent ya!

Cheers,
Jeff

1 comment:

qspandrew said...

Thanks for the tip. Was in town last night and took your advice.