Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Badass Beer Run!

For the past few weeks I've been itchin' to take a short trip and had decided either to go to Montreal or head South to Boston with the intent of stocking up on some hard-to-get brews. I had to weigh out the pros and cons - Montreal is full of beers I've never even heard of (pro) but every time I make a beer run across the border I get SUPER searched and detained...apparently they don't like the answer "Making a beer run" when they ask what your business in Canada is (con). Boston is twice as far (con) but I don't need a passport and I know people who live down there with extra couches (major pro)!

So Boston it was. I enlisted the company of Carl and the plan was to burn down after work on Sunday, crash in Boston, get up wicked early and fight morning commute traffic out to Westboro, hit up Julio's Liquors, and speed like hell to get Carl to work at the Bevy by 3pm. Plans for couches collapsed right before we left and we resolved to go ahead with the plan and just sleep in the Julio's parking lot (sleeping bags and all).

And here's were "Linchpin" Petey comes in - he overhears our falling apart plan and exclaims "My folks live right in Westboro!" So with Petey on board, we pack up my rig and started the trek...with a quick stop at the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier, of course!

Couch surfing, homebrews and Highland Park 18yr and all the sudden it was morning and time to get rolling. We pulled in right as Julio's opened their doors and started off with a shopping cart.

Now I'm gonna start a new paragraph so this sinks in - This is the beer mecca of the Northeast! Three solid beer enthusiasts lost, wondering aimlessly through isle after isle of beautiful shiny beer bottles from all over this planet. Long story short, we needed a second cart and a lot of cash was deposited in Mr. Julio's bank account. Highlights included two custom-made brews designed specifically for Julio's, one by Smuttynose and one brewed at De Proef; Mikkeller Black Hole (Rum barrel-aged stout with coffee, vanilla and honey), a Famille Dupont 1998 Pommeau (blend of calvados and unfermented apple juice), a few 2008 Avery Samael's oak-aged ale, Oskar Blues Gubna Imperial IPA and He'Brew's R.I.P.A. on Rye (Lenny Bruce aged on Sazerac 6 barrels)!

The moral of the story is this: if you go anywhere within a few hours drive of Westboro, MA, you need to hit up Julio's Liquors! And tell Tom I sent ya!

Cheers,
Jeff

1 comment:

alanmarcero said...

Had a chance to check out Julio's this past holiday week. Quite awesome, a bit less than I was expecting in the beer department, but not much.

Finally picked up some 21st Amendment, Westmalle Trippel, Jolly Pumpkin, Achel, Oskar Blues, Laganitus, Bear Republic.

The coolest thing was to see all those craft beers in a can. I didn't realize how popular it actually is until visiting Julio's. It definitely seems to be the hot thing these days and I'm very happy for that.