Saturday, June 12, 2010

Accidental Ageing

I'm sitting here late night watching the replay of the UK vs US in the World Cup and I'm digging through my fridge looking for something lower in alcohol to drink when I discovered a gem that George set me up with - a bottle of High & Mighty Sono Distrutto Espresso Stout (4.5%) bottled July 30th 2008!

Now, normally I would never have aged this on purpose. It breaks two of my cardinal rules for cellaring beers: First, it's lower than 8% ABV, and Secondly it's a coffee beer. I've never had much luck ageing coffee-infused beers. I feel like the acidity from the coffee winds up breaking down the hops and making the beers loose and messy.

All that being said, this accidentally-aged brew isn't half bad! It has very little carbonation and smells like cherry-infused coffee. The palate is surprisingly bright and crisp, with very little bitterness. Lots of coffee flavor, but very little mouthfeel and light bodied at best. I'm impressed with its ability to hold up for almost 2 years, but do not think that it's better for the journey. I'm just surprised that it hasn't fallen completely apart. Well done, Will Shelton!

Cheers,
Jeff

No comments: