Monday, November 14, 2011

hi everybody!


GREETINGS!

I'm absolutely delighted to (finally) have the chance to plop myself down and write my inaugural blog post for the Bevy B(eer)-Log!

First...yeah, sorry...it's taken a bit longer than I thought to do my first bit of blogging. My wife and I are still settling in after our big move from Brooklyn, NY. We're ridiculously excited to be here, getting to know everyone at the Farmhouse, American Flatbread, VT Pub, etc, etc...life in Chittenden County is good...

...and the beer is awesome! Speaking of which, some updates...

Our Twitter feed is live. Check us out @thebevy802 for up-to-date postings on what's new, what's available, what's out, deals and steals. Our Facebook page will also be updated regularly, and the B(eer)-log is here for musings, tastings, thoughts, brainfarts, and hopefully some guest bloggers, like our buddy and consultant, El Jefe.

Speaking of...um...beer...a ton of new, rare, or limited stuff has made its way into our doors, on our shelves, and hopefully into your beer caves. Some of the greatest hits:

Dogfish Faithfull - Dogfish Head's tribute to the 20th anny of Pearl Jam's "Ten." (Whew, that's a mouthful.) A belgian golden ale brewed with currant. Sold out, unfortunately, but we do also have the oft-unavailable Bitches Brew and Chicory Stout in stock right now as well as our favorite old standbys 60 and 90 Minutes, India Brown Ale, and this year's Olde School. Don't forget, we've been aging some Olde School in our beer cave - got some from '10 and I think '09. I had some '09 at the Farmhouse and lemme tell you...delicious. The alcohol is still very present but mellowed out in a way that's more cordial than super-hot barleywine.

Lawson's Finest Liquids - we've been super, super happy to be getting regular deliveries from Sean Lawson, including Sugarhouse IPA and Double Sunshine IPA. I've yet to crack into my stash but I had the former at Three Penny Taproom and the latter at Farmhouse and man...I'll just say, I'm so happy to live in VT.

Hill Farmstead - we were excited twice over for Shaun's delivery, for Arthur - his amazing saison - and for Grassroots Viola Sofia, their barrel aged imperial stout. Grassroots is Shaun's contract brewery in Denmark. While we sold out of Viola in just about an hour, we should be receiving Wachu, their saison.

And lastly, Stone - got both Vertical Epic 11/11/11 AND La Citrueille on the same day! This year's Vertical Epic is brewed with mild green Hatch chiles and cinnamon which I'm pretty psyched to try. La Citrueille is Stone's latest collaboration, and I was pretty darn excited about it given how much of a success they had with their recent collabs, Green Tea IPA and Cherry Chocolate Stout. Stone, along with The Bruery and Elysian, brewed a pumpkin beer. That's right, a pumpkin beer, pumpkins grown on Stone's farm, as well as yams, fenugreek, and birch bark. The result - an immensely drinkable autumnal beer that's recognizable to anyone who has had the pleasure of The Bruery's "Autumn Maple." I'm thoroughly enjoying this beer as I type - this pours a deep brown with a sweet, roasted smell, and some great depth of flavor. The roasted pumpkin and the yam come out nicely; the fenugreek adds that layer of flavor that you look for in a seasonal, and the birch adds just a tiny bit of smoke to balance it out.

So that's it for me tonight! Comment, go on our Facebook page, or email thebevy802@gmail.com with questions, comments, or thoughts. All feedback is welcome.

Warmest,
-e


No comments: