Monday, November 21, 2011

George and I don't agree, Vol. 1

This is the first of what will be a series of posts entitled, "George and I don't agree."

Because...

George and I don't agree...on beer.

George and Jen, as you know, are the dynamic duo that own the Beverage Warehouse.

George is an expert on many things, including beer.

George has strong opinions on beer.

So do I.

George's go-to beers err towards aggressive.

Mine toward balance.

George and I frequently argue about beer.

Hence the series, "George and I don't agree."

it's good to be the beer guy...
This week is about our favorite Lawson's Finest Liquids IPA that has been recently available to us via Sean Lawson, who might I add in the little I've known him seems like an extremely awesome guy - Sugarhouse IPA or Double Sunshine IPA.

George, he goes Sugarhouse IPA.  Sugarhouse packs an aggressive hop punch and a smooth mouthfeel with a slightly malty finish and nose, especially as it warms up.

Me, I love Double Sunshine IPA.  Bright, vibrant, hazy gold, with lots of citrusy and piney scents and flavors and a slightly creamier mouthfeel.

Both beers are exceptionally good with food, as I can attest to firsthand, sitting here with a microwave burrito and Stacy's Pita Chips.  (Full disclosure - my wife is out watching Twilight and I don't feel like cooking for one.  Let me assure you - I'm an excellent cook.  Don't judge me.)

Both beers are exceptional, of course.  And George and I heartily enjoy both beers and feel extremely lucky that Sean makes these beers available to us when he can.

The point of "George and I don't agree" is the conversation of beer.  

On any given day...well, pretty much any day, if you come into the store, there is a strong chance that George and I will be standing in the back arguing about beer.  Not what's bad and what's good - we know we're lucky to carry some of the best beer in the world.  But we do err towards different tastes, and the beauty of beer is to defend your taste.  You may not make a hop-head (*cough* George *cough*) agree with your style of choice, but you can damn well argue until your veins pop.  Which is half the fun...

Speaking of Lawson's Finest, we should have some Fayston's Maple Imperial Stout on Friday!  Some more new stuff coming down the pipeline - 

Barrell-aged Old Stock 2011 - coming asap!

Victory Dark Intrigue, the barrel-aged Storm King in 750ml which has been getting a lot of hype.  This should be arriving next week!

Cisco's Woods series.  Should be getting at least Monamoy Kriek and Lady of the Woods.  Possibly Dark Woods.

North Coast's Barrel-Aged Old Rasputin XIV.  This got pushed back but hopefully end of year.

Ommegang Seduction - formerly Chocolate Indulgence, coming soon.  A roasted ale. Belgian Chocolatier Callebut provides the chocolate, while Liefmans Cuvee Brut brings the cherries.  

Clown Shoes - two offerings.  Supa Hero, an IPA, and Vampire Slayer, an Imperial Russian Stout that online says it's 11% ABV but the distributor says will be bigger than Unidragon.

Anchorage - getting more Love Buzz and Bitter Monk soon!

Smuttynose S'muttonator - another one in the excellent Big Beer Series, this time a dopplebock.  

And more Mikkeller, plus Nogne O, Drie Fonteinen, Fantome, and much more...

...including Westvleteren.  Yes, Westvleteren.  

Hugs,
-e


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Westvleteren, is it the Gift Pack they just sold in Belgium?!!!!