Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hill Farmstead's Autumn Harvest Festival

This Saturday I made the 72 mile trek from Burlington up to Greensboro Bend to attend Hill Farmstead's Autumn Harvest Festival along with many other dedicated beer drinkers. As I'm driving out the dirt roads to the brewery, I'm starting to wonder how many people are going to make this long drive on an over-cast and chilly day. Not a single car on Taylor road in front nor behind me. But as I round the last bend and crest the hill, I see about ten cars parked in the clover-laden field. "Oh good!"



"I should have worn boots," passed through my mind as a I off-road up to the beer tent. I get my HF wine glass and tickets and rocket right over to the Edward cask conditioned with home-grown Cascades - what a great way to take the chill off!

As I mingle about, we're all shivering and shaking hands - some folks drove up from New Jersey to visit, a lot from New Hampshire and Massachusetts too, and of course the VT contingent of hardcore craft supporters. It's all smiles and toasts, a glass of Ephraim (triple IPA, or IIIPA as I'm going to start dubbing it) and I'm convinced to buy a $20 growler of it. We take turns waiting in the growler line, holding each other's places while glasses are refilled and we get to know each other a little bit.

I chatted with Anders Kissmeyer while sampling the three versions of Fear & Trembling - yes, a philosophy reference - and decided that although I love bourbon-barrel brews, I agree with him that the French Cabernet barrel is my favorite. I love the red berry notes swirling around with the black smoke and cream-like carbonation. All thoughts of wearing boots and long pants have long since faded from my mind.

A quick glance at the local purveyors of meats, cheeses and stews, but I've got business to do and must get back to Burlington to work the closing shift at the shop. I thank Shaun for his hospitality - he is perhaps the epitome of a Generous Host - tried a bit of the Phenomenology of Spirit collaboration dark saison (yes, another work in philosophy) and had to pack up my purchases and make the long drive back.

Besides the high level of craft in the Hill Farmstead beers, what I was most impressed with was how casual the event was. There was a bluegrass band plucking away and people from far and wide mingled at HF's first-ever bottle release, politely conversing, laughing and shaking hands with perfect strangers. This is how Vermont does business.

It was hard to pull myself away from the idyllic scene, but people back in B-ton need beer tonight and some one has to sell it.

Cheers,
Jeff

For my reviews of Hill Farmstead's beers, check out BeerAdvocate.com (username SFLpunk).

1 comment:

Kingcrowing said...

Great write up Jeff! It was great to get to chat in line with you while enjoying some amazing brews! I already can't wait for the next release - I've heard murmurs of a January eisbock release!