Thursday, September 4, 2008

High and Mighty

So, I'm just getting back from another late night trip to ye olde Switchback Brewery, and I figure it's time to write about beer. Tonight we got to check out what their wort tastes like...I know what you're thinking, "Eww, gross! Worts!" But this is basically the beer before they add the yeast. Let me tell you - Delicious. It's pleasantly sweet but immediately bitter from the Simcoe and Sterling hops that they add during the boil. My buddy Chris Galbraith took off on the culinary applications for such a raucous ingredient for braising meats and fish and etc. etc. Good times.

In other brew news, I've been exploring our new beer offerings and have been posting reviews on BeerAdvocate.com. If you're a member, check it out, my handle is SFLpunk. If you're not signed up, you should be - it's free.

One new line that I've been particularly fond of is the High & Mighty Beer Co. We've pulled in four bombers from them and I've sampled 3 of them thus far:

"Beer of the Gods" - A solid American blond ale. Very bitter and refreshing, while maintaining an amber hue and full mid-palate. Flavorful is probably the word I'm looking for, yet easy to drink. A session ale for the midnight rockers.

"Purity of Essence" - A lager of hopped proportions! Although technically a 'malt liquor,' this ain't your Daddy's 40! Medium tawny on the eye, unfiltered, and raging with dry-hoppiness. Clean and drinkable.

"Sono Distrutto" - An American stout, this beer is chock-full-o-nuts...meaning that it's an Espresso Stout. A nice bitterness from the beans and a full lush and somewhat sweet quality from the beer. Light in alcohol for the style, it's medium- to full-bodied and will acompany any fine bourbon or perhaps a hearty stew.

Keep drinking, and I will too! Hope to see you in the store soon.
Cheers,
Jeff

PS> Erdinger Oktoberfest .5L's should be in tomorrow (9/5/08). And, I know it's not beer, but it is carbonated, REAL Lambrusco is back in VT. Check out our offerings from Villa de Corlo.

No comments: